These Siúcra and Catherine Fulvio’s Spinach Pancakes with Leeks, Kale, Pepper and Caramelized Walnuts will make for a special feast for your loved ones! Adding baby spinach to the batter of these savoury pancakes gives a wonderful vibrant green colour that is sure to brighten up any plate – and create a mouth-watering dish! #SiúcrasPerfectPancakes
Serves 10 – 12 people (depending on the size of the pancakes)
For caramelised walnuts
60g walnut halves
100g Siúcra Light Golden Brown Sugar
For the filling
1 leek, sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 red pepper, thinly diced
1 tsp chopped thyme
60ml vegetable stock
2 large leaves of kale, shredded
4 tbsp cream
For the pancakes
250g plain flour
2 tbsp. Siúcra Caster Sugar
A small handful of baby spinach, finely shredded
A pinch of paprika
3 to 4 tbsp water, if the batter is too thick
50g feta cheese, crumbled, to garnish
Sprigs of thyme, to garnish
To make the caramelised walnuts
- Line a baking tray with parchment and brush lightly with a non-scented oil. Place the walnut halves onto the parchment paper.
- Pour the Siúcra Caster Sugar into a non-stick saucepan and heat until just amber in colour. Pour the caramelised sugar over the walnuts and leave to set.
To prepare the filling
- Heat a saucepan with some oil and sauté the leek for 6 minutes until softened but not browned. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the red pepper, thyme, stock and cook for a further 3 minutes before adding the shredded kale and nutmeg. Simmer for about 2 minutes before pouring in the cream. Set aside until the pancakes are cooked.
To prepare the pancakes
- Combine the plain flour, Siúcra Caster Sugar and spinach in a bowl. Add a pinch of paprika. Beat together the eggs and milk and slowly whisk into the flour mix. Pour into a jug.
- When ready to cook, heat the frying pan and add a little butter and oil, give the batter a quick stir and then pour just enough into the pan to make a large size pancake.
- Cook for about 1½ minutes and then turn onto the other side, cooking for about ½ minute until golden and cooked.
- Place on a clean plate continuing to finish all the batter. Place sheets of parchment into between the pancakes to prevent them from sticking.
- Place a pancake on the plate, spoon in the filling on one half and fold the other half over.
- Serve 2 pancakes per person and crumble the feta over the top as well as some caramelized walnuts. Garnish with sprigs of thyme.